Sunday, April 6, 2014

Performance Art

I have never been a big fan of performance art but I am slowly gaining an appreciation of the art form.  My view changed after watching Marina Abramovic's performance of The Artist is Present at the MoMA.  I could feel the emotion when she opened her eyes to see Ulay after many years apart.  It was a very emotional moment that broke the barrier between artist and viewer.  It touched me in a way no artwork has ever touched me before.  It was an unexpected feeling.

I'll probably never be a fan of some of the performance art.  The vomiting, defecating, pissing and bleeding is just not for me.  I understand that it is influenced by things happening in the world but it seems more about shock value than art.  I saw no artistic value in the recent performance when Millie Brown vomited on Lady Gaga.  It was more of a cry for attention of a fading star.

I will admit our performance art project had me worried when I read about it the first week of class. I'm not worried about it now after watching the other artists.  They have inspired me and I have a great idea for my project.  Hopefully, I can translate the idea in my head into a great performance art piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment