Sunday, April 20, 2014

Performance Art

I decided to put myself in a sand sculpture for my performance art.  I thought a shark eating me alive would be a graphic image and would work well since I am a graphic design major.  It also represents the way I feel sometimes since I'm an older student attending college.   I decided to do it at Fort De Soto Beach and it was my first attempt at sand sculpture and performance art.  I immediately had problems with the sand holding together but finally got a good feel for the amount of sand and water to mix.  The sand sculpture took about two hours to complete and I spent another thirty minutes posing with the shark and allowing others to participate.  I posed with my head inside the shark and then posed with a torn, bloodied shirt inside his jaws.  It was a conversation piece on the beach with many people.  This is the first time I have ever had so many strangers come by and talk to me at the beach.  My shark turned into a photo op as many people stopped to get a picture with their head inside the shark's mouth.  I had stressed about this assignment since day one when I saw it on the syllabus but I stressed out for no reason.  It was a very enjoyable experience and I got to know a lot of new people.

I was very worried at this point if it would work.  I was starting to think of back-up plans.

I was feeling much better after the mouth did not collapse.  That was the hardest part to do and took several attempts and lots of water.





This was the first pose.  I could hear lots of people walking by and laughing.

I'm sure this picture is on her Facebook.

This is the second pose with my shredded and bloodied shirt.


Photo op!!

This lady had more than water in her cooler and she had been drinking lots of it.














No comments:

Post a Comment