Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Smiths

The Smiths were one of the best bands from Britain in the 1980s.  Some people compared them to the Beatles and they were very successful with their blend of new wave and indie rock.  I don't recall hearing much from them when I was growing up on the 80s but I discovered them later on.  Even though they were only together for a short period of time, they gained a cult following which still exists today.  Their lead singer, Morrissey, had a very successful solo career after the band broke up.  He continues to tour and there are always rumors of a reunion of The Smiths.  I like Morrissey because he makes great music and is an outspoken supporter of animal rights and vegetarianism.  One of my favorite songs by The Smiths is "Meat is Murder."  I like it because Morrissey is expressing his true feelings through his music.

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Look for the Northern Soul references in the article, otherwise the Smiths = GREAT

    ReplyDelete